I am currently attending my first CES conference in Las Vegas. I have been anxious to go for years. I read every year after the conference as blogs like Engadget and TechCrunch fill me in with the details of what was announced and what wasn’t. Now … I don’t need them (although I am still reading because they get a LOT better access than me)! I am here. Mama … I made it.
The first thing I have to say … CES is daunting. The halls are huge, the keynotes start early, and the fact that I love craps and will play into the wee hours of the morning doesn’t make things any easier. Also, there are an immense amount of people in the city and that makes any type of transportation a horrible affair. With all that being said … I’m loving it.
If you want to follow my thoughts … follow me on Twitter: @TheRealMrPeters
I’ll keep this short as I am preparing to go out for the night and win some tuition money at the craps table, but here are my thoughts so far.
- They Love, Love, Love 3D! 3D phones, 3D TVs, 3D Tablets … it’s all here and all being pushed hard.
- There hasn’t been as much bleeding edge stuff as I expected. A lot of better, faster, and stronger … but I haven’t seen a whole lot of game changing.
- Motorola really impressed me with their Atrix. It’s an Android Cell Phone that can be attached to a laptop dock or monitor and keyboard, and then it acts as practically a full sized laptop with 4G and 3G. Would be great for travel and a way to ditch the real laptop, but still have everything in one device.
- I’m not that big a fan of 3D. It still feels gimmicky to me, and given that HDTV adoption isn’t universal yet, I’m not sure that people are ready for the new new thing.
- Everyone is rushing to make a tablet, but nothing seems that interesting. Even the Motorola’s offering, that I was really looking forward to, wasn’t that impressive.
- Several companies think it’s ok to have someone hold a controller or touch a screen while a video is playing and pretend that the GUI is working … stop it!
- Having a press pass doesn’t really mean anything …
- There is still a lot more for me to see, so I’ll hold off some of my other thoughts for later.
That is all for now … I’ll try and get some pics or something interesting up ASAP.